Joseph L. Piccin was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1974, and grew up in St. Clairsville, Ohio. He attended Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, from 1993 until 1997. He graduated with Bachelor of Science degrees in Finance and Accountancy and a subspecialty in Management Information Systems.
While at Miami University, Mr. Piccin participated in Miami's Business in Europe Program, studying international law and comparative accounting practices in cities and countries throughout Western Europe. Mr. Piccin was also the recipient of the Farmers Insurance Scholarship during his senior year, given to students excelling in insurance and risk management classes.
After college, he attended the University of Akron School of Law from 1997 until 2000. While in law school, Mr. Piccin participated in moot court competitions and earned the highest grade in his appellate advocacy class. Mr. Piccin was a member of the Jessup International Law Moot Court team, where his team earned best brief award in the Midwest regional competition in 1999. He graduated with a JD degree in 2000 and was subsequently admitted to practice law in Ohio in November of 2000.
Mr. Piccin has practiced law since 2000. From 2000 until 2003, he was an Assistant Attorney General with the Ohio Attorney General's Office. While there he was a member of the Antitrust Section of the Attorney General's Office, representing the interests of Ohioans against a variety of state and federal unlawful business practices. He was also a member of the Constitutional Offices Section, where he enforced laws addressing the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products. He also represented State officials in civil lawsuits and counseled a variety of State agencies.
He has successfully litigated cases against many of the country's largest companies at the trial and appellate levels in Ohio and other states. He has represented clients in counties throughout Ohio, as well as several Federal District Courts.
As a member of the Attorney General's Office, Mr. Piccin provided free legal services as part of the Attorney General's Pro Bono program, which involved the preparation of wills, living wills, financial powers of attorney, and durable powers of attorney for clients of low income.
In 2003, Mr. Piccin left the Ohio Attorney General's Office to begin his private practice of law and began working as Co-Counsel on family law cases with attorney Douglas B. Dougherty and attorney James G. Hanneman. In 2020, Joe merged his practice with Attorneys Dougherty and Hanneman to join Dougherty, Hanneman & Piccin as a partner. He has represented clients throughout the state of Ohio. His private practice has consisted of general civil litigation, representation of small to medium-sized businesses including business formation issues, as well as family law. Mr. Piccin has represented business clients in many different industries, including the construction, insurance, health & fitness, and hotel/hospitality industries, as well as dental and optometric professionals.
He is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and federal courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio. He has been a frequent author of articles which appear in The Sports, Parks and Recreation Law Reporter and The Exercise Standards and Malpractice Reporter, publications tailored to those in the sports as well as the health and fitness industry.
Mr. Piccin has handled the following types of matters:
- Co-counsel in complex divorce involving business interests and valuation, child custody disputes, and long-term support issues
- Co-counsel in litigation involving insurance company / insurance agent action dealing with the sale of annuities and other insurance products
- Co-counsel in litigation involving business insurance arrangements
- Co-counsel in litigation in key life insurance funding dispute including employer company and insurance funding provider
- Co-counsel to national health and wellness company in state and federal antitrust matters
- Counsel to hotel owners in various litigation disputes involving zoning and planning Disputes
- Counsel to professional practice sellers and buyers
- Counsel to business/going concern buyers and sellers
- Commercial and residential real estate transactions
- Business lease arrangements representing both landlords and tenants
- Counsel in litigation involving alleged violations of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Counsel in claims and investigations alleging violations of workplace discrimination
U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2001
U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2006
University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio
Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, Ohio
Ohio State Bar Association, Member, 2000 - Present
Columbus Bar Association, Member, 2000 - Present
Ohio Attorney General's Office, Assistant Attorney General, 2000 - 2003
Joseph L. Piccin Co., LLC, 2004-2020
Dougherty, Hanneman & Piccin, LLC, 2020-present